Necessity is the mother of invention. I was running out of groceries and options to please my picky son, so I had to do best with what I had. And these were the leftover broccoli stalks, which I set aside for a compost pile. Glad I kep them.
- 4 broccoli stalks peeled and shaved into thin but wide strips
- one medium to large size carrot, peeled and shaved in the same manner
- 1/2 of a large red onion thinly cut lengthwise
- 1/3 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon for juice and zest
- 1 tsp of melted bacon for frying
Heat the bacon fat in a pan, add onions and sauteed a minute or so. Add carrot strips and sautee a minute or two more. Add salt, pepper and sage to taste. AdAdd broccoli strips and saute until soft. Remove from the heat source, add cilantro, lemon juice (gradually, you may not need the entire 1/2 lemon worth of juice) and zest. Serve with baked salmon. Enjoy!